Your Path to Success can become reality by incorporating your writing talents with good use of resources to elevate your creative skills, by protecting your work via copyright, and by utilizing marketing resources. Keep your perspective simple and follow the Success Path ! Each of these are important…and the total Path to Success always flows through CREATING + PROTECTING + MARKETING.
An article at TheScriptLab.com states that great directors, producers and actors don’t like to admit that “screenwriters power the entertainment and film industry”. As the article indicates, Screenwriter’s Success comes from a blend of Writing Creativity and Marketing.
Your screenwriting project most often begins with a great idea. Moving that idea forward into a great script for a film involves several important elements;
- Create an Interesting Story Plot that communicates a Call To Action for the viewer. Try to incorporate a Hook (“What If”) in your story plot.
- Utilize Main Characters that are relatable and trigger the interest, emotion or passion of the viewer.
- Format and Structure should follow the norms within the industry. Script Formats involve number of pages, fonts style (Courier 12) and layout and are available from industry resources like https://www.finaldraft.com/learn/how-to-format-a-screenplay/ Make sure your Script Structure flows logically, even when obstacles or challenges are present.
- Work within a Genre that is identifiable. Examples of current successful genre are action/adventure, romantic/comedy and true stories.
- Remember that Film is a Visual Medium. Write your screenplay Visually; what the viewer will See and Hear. Leave the rest to the filmmaker.
- Write about a subject you are passionate about, have a keen interest in, or is a true-life story. When you love what you are writing about, it places a higher value on the subject.
- Keep it Simple… Act 1 – The characters get into gear. Act 2 – The characters explore but fail to reach their goals. Act 3 – The characters recover and develop as people as they struggle to reach their ultimate resolution.
- Create an Emotionally Powerful Title. This is like wrapping a gift…making the viewer want to open it.
Protecting Before You Pitch
CreatorsVault.com Intellectual Property Registry provides Better Value and More Options. You can register online for Copyright Protection via https://www.creatorsvault.com/registrations/ Never share your project with others before it is Registered for Copyright Protection. This will serve as evidence with a court or arbitration panel should an infringement case occur.
Being a successful screenwriter takes dedication to both writing and connecting. Once you are ready to market your script, you can use resources like www.TVWritersVault.com to get your script in front of industry professional. Additionally, many Screenwriting Competitions and Film Festivals can be accessed through FilmFreeway.com – membership is FREE. Due to CreatorsVault.com affiliation with FilmFreeway, a 30% discount is available for initial IP Registration and Copyright Protection via the FilmFreeway Benefits Page at https://filmfreewat.com/pages/benefits/
For your reference, CreatorsVault.com currently has affiliations and promotional partners listed on our Resources Page at https://www.creatorsvault.com/resources/ We highly recommend participating in as many screenwriting competitions as possible to enhance and expand the market awareness of your project. There are many screenwriting competitions to consider; a good reference list is The ISA (International Screenwriters’ Association) at https://www.networkisa.org/contest/all
Intellectual Property Registry